The Botanical Garden was founded on May 5 (April 22) 1827. Its area is 43.7 hectares.
In 2013 the 180th anniversary of the Lower Dendrosad was celebrated.
The Botanical Garden functions as a part of an entity – educational, scientific and production complex of the state educational institution of higher professional education «St. Petersburg State Forestry Technical University».
The Botanical Gardens comprise three laboratories which carry out educational and scientific and research work: the laboratory of landscape gardening (park), laboratory of woody plants, laboratory of herbaceous plants.
Status of the Botanical Garden.
In accordance with the Federal Law of the Russian Federation FL-33 of 15.02.1995 “On Specially Protected Natural Territories”: “Dendrological parks and botanical gardens are nature protection institutions, their tasks including the creation of special plant collections in order to preserve the diversity and enrichment of the plant world, as well as the implementation of scientific, educational and educational activities. The territories of dendrological parks and botanical gardens are intended only for the performance of their direct tasks … “(Article 28, paragraph 1) and” On the territories of dendrological parks and botanical gardens, any activity not related to the performance of their tasks and resulting in ruining floristic objects is prohibited”(Article 29, paragraph 1).
The Botanical Garden is located within the boundaries of the monument of history and culture of all-Russian significance “Complex of the Forest Institute” (1820 — 1840, 1900, architects Nellinger AD, Lukini IF, Dietrich AI). On the territory of the Botanical Garden there are 17 monuments (23 objects) of federal importance and 8 monuments of regional importance: “The complex of shelter-and-care medical center buildings of E.A. Ereveynova for chronically ill children, 1898–1901, architect. E.I.Zhiber»- 5 objects and «Complex of Communal Graves »- 3 objects. Activities on the territory of the Botanical Garden are carried out in accordance with the Law of the Russian Federation of June 25, 2002 No. 73-FZ “On the Objects of Cultural Heritage (Monuments of History and Culture) of the Peoples of the Russian Federation”. It is on the account of the State Inspection Committee for the Protection of Monuments and has been protected by the state since 1989 as a monument of landscape art of the first half of the 19th century with a valuable collection of arboreal and shrub plants.
Methodological bases of the Botanical Garden activity are determined by the Council of Botanical Gardens of Russia and the International Council of Botanical Gardens for Conservation of Plants (BGCI — Botanic Gardens Conservation International, Kew, U. K.).
The main objectives of the Botanical Garden activity are the following:
- providing a highly effective educational process in training qualified specialists;
- preservation and study of plants of cultural and natural flora,
- conservation and study of plant biodiversity for the enrichment of flora, the creation of a national gene bank of plants;
- creation and preservation of specialized collections and expositions of living plants that are of scientific, educational, economic, cultural and educational significance;
- carrying out scientific research work corresponding to the objectives of the Botanical Garden and the main scientific directions of St. Petersburg State Technical University;
- carrying out cultural and educational work in the field of botany, dendrology, ecology, nature protection, plant growing, selection, decorative gardening, landscape architecture and other profile areas.